The City of Boulder facilities and services continue to be impacted significantly by COVID-19. To reduce transmission of COVID-19 the library has increased safety measures and is working closely with Boulder County, Boulder County Public Health and other partner organizations to coordinate our operations.
High Risk Level Orange service changes at Main Library:
- Second floor is open for computer access
- The first floor is open for limited collection browsing, self-service holds pick-up and express internet use/printing
Boulder Public Library is here for you and remains committed to serving our community with innovation and care.
- Subscribe to our mailing list for updates.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Holds Carryout by Appointment at the Meadows Branch
Main Library and Call Center Hours
Designated access for at-risk individuals:
- Monday – Thursday: 9 – 10 a.m.
- Ages 60+ and at-risk individuals
- Monday – Thursday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Friday – Sunday: noon to 5 p.m.
What can I expect?
Due to the financial impacts and safety concerns surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic, library staffing, budgets and services have been reduced. Services, are now more costly to provide due to the added expense of PPE and cleaning. Thank you for your understanding and patience in these unprecedented times.
- Specialized hours for patrons 60+ and those considered high risk Self-service holds pickup (up to 10 holds per account)
- Self-service checkout
- Limited access to building through Arapahoe Ave. entrance
- Occupancy limits apply, please be prepared to wait for entry
- Mandatory face covering and social distancing of at least 6 feet required
- Parking at the Main Library remains 90 minutes free and an additional 90 minutes available for purchase.
- Limited collection access; Children’s area and the Adult collections are closed.
- All-gender restrooms open on the first floor only
- Meeting and study rooms remain closed
- No public seating
- Material returns accepted at outdoor book drops only
- All materials are quarantined for a minimum of 72 hours
- For expedited service please bring library card, library card number or photo ID
- Frequently Asked Questions about the library
The health and safety of our patrons is our number one priority. Those who are considered high risk should remain at home. We are proactively cleaning at all times. We reserve the right to close and reopen at any time due to potential health risks.
- Please respect the safety of staff and other patrons; do not enter buildings if you are sick or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or have recently been in contact with someone who has a confirmed or suspected case.
- All patrons age 11 and older must wear a face covering when in buildings.
- Patrons are expected to respect 6 feet of physical distancing between parties.
- Patrons are expected to adhere to all signage and staff requests as related to new requirements.
For more information on what the City of Boulder is doing, please visit bouldercolorado.gov/coronavirus
Learn more about COVID-19 at:
• Boulder County’s COVID-19
• Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment
• Centers for Disease Control
• World Health Organization
• Call CO-Help at 303-389-1687 or 1-877-462-2911 or email [email protected], for answers in English and Spanish
Thank you for your understanding and for working with us to keep the community safe.
Other Available Services
- Holds Carryout Service by appointment at the Meadows Branch Library
- Material returns accepted both the Main Library and Meadows Branch Library.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you have more questions, contact us through our Ask a Librarian service and library staff will be happy to help.
We are now accepting returns at outdoor book drops at both the Arapahoe and Canyon entrances of the Main Library and the outdoor book drop at the Meadows Branch Library. Please do not return items to the other locations. They are unable to accept returns until further notice.
Returned items will be quarantined for 72 hours before they are checked in and removed from your account.
We are accepting new requests for holds on items. Due to limited staffing, the Main Library and Meadows Branch Library are the only locations. Each patron is limited to 5 items on hold at this time.
If your holds are available at the Main Library, you do not need an appointment. Simply grab your mask and visit during regular hours. Please be aware that occupancy limits apply, be prepared to wait for entry to the building.
If your holds are at the Meadows Branch Library, please make a hold carryout appointment when you receive notification your holds are ready.
If you receive an additional hold ready notice after scheduling your appointment, you do not need to make an additional appointment. All items that are ready for pickup by your appointment date will be waiting for you.
Due to impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic, library staffing and budgets have been reduced. This has limited our capacity to purchase and process new materials as quickly as we have in the past. Additionally, publishers and distributors are working hard to meet their own budget and supply challenges. Our regional library partners and couriers are also working on phased approaches to move requested library materials to hold pickup locations. Please know that we are working hard to make new and existing materials available to our library patrons as quickly as possible, but delays are expected.
At the Main Library, all-gender restrooms are open on the first floor only. View a full map of all City of Boulder Buildings, Facilities, Parking and Restrooms with opening and closure information. To learn more to visit the City of Boulder’s COVID-19 information page.