BLDG 61 is a free community workshop dedicated to hands-on learning and the cultivation of purposeful experiences through making.
The makerspace is equipped with a broad selection of tools and materials to fulfill the needs of both creative and industrial projects. Laser Cutters, Sewing Machines, Welding Tools, CNC Machines, 3D Printers, Looms, Screen Printing Equipment, Vinyl Cutters, Electronics, Woodworking Tools, and more are available at BLDG 61.
Twitter Instagram YouTube
- For general access and tours, visit BLDG 61 during our regularly scheduled Open Studio hours: 1PM – 6:45PM on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays. No Registration Required. 3D Printers, Sewing Machines, Electronics bench, Design Laptops, Vinyl Cutter, Screen Printing Equipment and more are available for use at this time.
- Woodshop Equipment, the Shopbot CNC Machine, and Laser Cutters require online registration for access. See individual events on our calendar for details.
BLDG 61’s laser cutters are among the most popular tools available in the makerspace. Our laser cutters are capable of cutting and etching a variety of materials including wood, paper, fabric, and certain plastics. Access to the equipment is scheduled through Laser Cutter Guided Access time slots on the event calendar.
Laser Cutter Specifications
Epilog 40 Watt Fusion – (Manufacturer Details)
- Cutting Area: 40″ x 28″
- Max Optimal Cut Thickness: 3mm (1/8″)
- 40 Watt Material Settings
Epilog 75 Watt Helix – (Manufacturer Details)
- Cutting Area: 24″ x 18″
- Max Optimal Cut Thickness: 6mm (1/4″)
- 75 Watt Material Settings
Laser Cutter Use Requirements
- All patrons are required to watch the Laser Cutter Tool Orientation prior to use and check in with staff before sending their first job to the equipment.
- Space is limited, registration is required to secure your spot, ages 14+.
- Users may only register for one Laser Cutter Guided Access event per day. Additional registrations will be canceled.
- Users are allotted up to 15 minutes of laser operation per day and will share access to both of BLDG 61’s lasers with up to five other users during this event’s hour-long time slot.
- Materials can be purchased from BLDG 61 or brought from home. If using your own materials, staff must approve those materials before use.
- Be prepared – You can get help with your designs and prepare your file for cutting during BLDG 61 Open Studio hours, which run all day while other guided access events are occurring.
- Adobe Illustrator is also available on select lab computers at Boulder Public Library’s main branch.
- All attendees must fill out our Acknowledgement of Risk and Release Form prior to use of makerspace.
BLDG 61 woodshop sessions provide an excellent opportunity to learn a new tool, use equipment you don’t have access to at home, or get guidance on a woodworking project. Access to shop equipment is scheduled through our calendar and organized by the level of supervision a specific tool requires. Basic tools require the least staff guidance, while Supervised requires the most. See the table below for details.
If you are completely new to woodworking and unsure of the needs of your project, we recommend checking out the Shop 61 playlist on our YouTube Channel and signing up for a Supervised time slot on the calendar. During your first visit, you’ll work with makerspace staff to determine the needs of your project and which sessions would be correct to sign up for in the future.
Time slots for tools and processes that require little to no supervision while working primarily at the workbench in the shop.
Time slots for machines that users may need help setting up and then be run with little supervision.
Time slots for machines and processes that require the closest supervision from BLDG 61 staff.
power drills & drivers
Wodshop Safety and Use Requirements
- Users may only register for one Shop 61 event per day. Additional registrations will be canceled.
- Closed-toed shoes are required, no exceptions.
- Eye protection and dust masks are required at all times in the shop. All additional safety gear must be worn as appropriate.
- Long hair must be safely secured and out of the way. Loose-fitting clothing, lanyards, and other dangly items are not permitted.
- Users under the age of 14 must be supervised by a parent, adult guardian, or teacher at all times. BLDG 61 staff is unavailable to provide this direct supervision.
- An acknowledgment of risk and release form is signed and on file.
Woodshop Guests and Collaborators
Up to one collaborator/partner/assistant is welcome to join you during your session. No additional registrations are required for this guest.
BLDG 61 is located in the north building of Boulder Public Library’s main branch on the first floor behind the Canyon Theater and Gallery. Metered parking is available in the Canyon and Arapahoe lots just East of the building.
Policy and Release Form
If you have more questions about BLDG 61 or want to get in touch with makerspace staff, use the following form.
BLDG 61 Contact Form
BLDG 61 was made possible through a generous grant from the Boulder Library Foundation.