BoulderReads trains volunteer literacy tutors to provide literacy instruction for adults.
- Are at least 18 years old
- Live or work in Boulder County
- Hold less than a 2-year college degree
- Read below a 9th grade level
- Are comfortable speaking in English in person and on the phone
- Have literacy goals that are personal, educational or work-related
- Commit to 3 hours of tutoring a week for at least 6 months
- Manage and schedule appointments with BoulderReads staff, volunteer tutors, etc.
- are at least 18 years old
- are comfortable reading and writing, speaking and listening in English
- complete the BoulderReads tutor training
- commit to 3 hours of tutoring a week for at least 6 months
- maintain regular contact with learners and BoulderReads staff
- meet learners online, at library branches, or other public locations
- are proficient with email, basic software and web-based electronic resources.
- Interviews adult learners to determine their goals and assess their literacy skills
- Trains volunteer tutors in literacy acquisition and adult learning theory
- Matches adult learners with trained tutors based on learners’ literacy goals and logistical factors such as location and schedule
- Provides instructional support to learners and tutors as they work towards literacy-related goals
- Provides learning spaces and technology resources to support literacy development
- Makes referrals to other programs and organizations.