An individual who is concerned about the appropriateness of items on the list below or is unsatisfied with the response from an informal discussion with a library staff member about library resources, programs, exhibitions or displays may choose to make a formal request for reconsideration of the work in question provided they meet requirements of this policy.
- Library materials or resources
- Library programs and library-sponsored programs
- Library exhibitions
- Library displays
- Only individual City of Boulder residents are eligible to submit a written request for reconsideration to the library director by completing a Request for Reconsideration Form [PDF].
- Anonymous or incomplete requests will not be accepted.
- A separate Request for Reconsideration Form must be submitted for each library material, library resource, program, exhibition or display.
- Request forms may be delivered to a library staff person at any BPL location or the Main Library Administration Office, submitted online, or sent via U.S. Mail to:
Boulder Public Library
1001 Arapahoe Ave.
Boulder, CO 80302
Request Review Process and Resolution
Upon receipt of a valid Request for Reconsideration Form, the library director will appoint a staff committee to review the request and evaluate it using criteria from the Collection Development Policy. A committee member will contact the individual to acknowledge receipt of the form and to discuss the request. Programs, exhibitions or displays under reconsideration will not be canceled, paused or modified during the process. Library materials or resources under reconsideration will not be removed from the collection during the process.
After its evaluation, the committee recommends in writing to the library director a response to the request. The library director decides on a resolution for the request based upon the committee’s recommendation and sends a written response to the requestor within 30 business days from the date the request is received. The request and the director’s decision will be issued to the Library Commission and become public record. The library director’s decision regarding a reconsideration request is final.
Adopted by the Boulder Public Library Commission, June 7, 2023.