Boulder Public Library (BPL) provides open access to information and encourages the free and respectful expression of all points of view. The BLDG 61 Makerspace extends those commitments into the world of making by providing open access to a wide variety of equipment and tools during open studio hours, and by offering classes and programs for guided exploration.
BPL’s Rules of Conduct and Internet Access policy apply to the BLDG 61 Makerspace. A signed BLDG 61 Makerspace Acknowledgment of Risk and Release form is required of all users and visitors to the Makerspace. Exception is given to individuals or groups on staff-lead tours of the space. Users must also complete the required Equipment Use and Safety Class prior to independent use of the space.
Equipment and tools in the BLDG 61 Makerspace are available at no charge to all community members with a valid library card, generally on a first come, first served basis during open studio hours. Specific tools or equipment may be reserved for projects at the discretion of staff. Independent use of tools and equipment during classes or programs is prohibited without prior authorization by staff.
Use of the BLDG 61 Makerspace equipment and tools is free during open studio hours. Users are welcome to bring in staff-approved consumable materials for use with the equipment and tools, except the 3D printers. BPL supplies 3D printer filament for a fee to users. Other consumable materials may be available for purchase such as sheets of wood, skeins of wool, etc. Fees for consumable materials are charged to cover BPL’s cost. During library programs, BPL may provide consumable materials free of charge, as available. Please consult with staff about the availability of consumable material before planning a project.
Users (or if minors, their parents/guardians) are responsible for any fees incurred for loss or damage to BPL property, not associated with normal wear and tear, that is the result of inappropriate or unauthorized use of tools, equipment, or consumable materials, or for clean-up of the tools, equipment or the space. BPL is not responsible for any damage to, or loss or theft of, users’ personal property including electronic files left on BPL computers.
At its discretion, staff reserves the right to disallow the use of any tools, equipment, or consumable materials, or to halt, delete, or disallow the creation of items that violate any library policy. Projects must be approved by staff prior to use of 3D printers, the laser cutter, and the CNC machine to ensure that proper file format, size and materials are being used. Approval to use the BLDG 61 Makerspace does not constitute endorsement by BPL of the uses to which the space is put or the products produced therein.
BLDG 61 Guidelines for Use
- All users and visitors must agree to and sign the Acknowledgment of Risk and Release form before entering the space. Exception is given to individuals or groups on staff-lead tours of the space.
- Minors (under 18) must have a parent/ adult guardian agree to and sign the Acknowledgment of Risk and Release form before entering the space. Exception is given to individuals or groups on staff-lead tours of the space.
- All users must attend an Equipment Use and Safety Class prior to participating in open studio hours and using the equipment.
- All users must have a valid library card and must check in with the staff member or volunteer on duty when entering the space to work.
- Users under the age of 14 must be supervised by parent, adult guardian (18 or older), or teacher at all times.
- Parent, adult guardian, or teacher supervision and involvement are encouraged for all minors over the age of 14.
- Parent/guardian must be present for initial training prior to full access to the space for all minors under the age of 14.
- Safety gear is required for use of some tools and equipment. All safety gear must be worn as appropriate. BPL provides access to safety gear while in the space.
- Long hair must be safely secured and out of the way. Jewelry, lanyards, loose clothing or other dangly items are not permitted in the space.
- Closed-toed shoes are required in the space.
- Unsafe behavior is not permitted. Users are encouraged to report any unsafe behavior observed in the space to the staff member or volunteer on-duty.
- Covered, non-alcoholic drinks are allowed in the space. Food is prohibited unless otherwise approved by staff.
Tool and Material Donation Guidelines
BPL accepts new or gently used donations of the following items by appointment:
- Tools in clean and good working condition
- Consumable material that is relevant to programs being offered in the space
Donations are greatly appreciated. Staff reserves the right to decline donations as well as remove those that no longer support makerspace activities. As requested, staff will provide a letter of receipt that donors may fill out for tax purposes. Staff is not qualified to determine the value of any donation. It is up to the donor to assign a value for tax purposes. Please email [email protected] to set up an appointment.
Approved by the Library Commission on January 6, 2016.