Sponsorship Application for Canyon Theater Programs
Approved by the Library Commission on January 7, 2015, revised June 1, 2016.
Boulder Public Library (BPL) and the Office of Arts and Culture offers a limited number of sponsorship opportunities for programs and events that bring value to the community and are aligned with the Library’s mission. Sponsorship is defined as the Library and Arts Department hosting of programs in library facilities that are coordinated by an outside entity and are supported, co-marketed, or co-organized by the Library and Arts Department.
Theater Sponsorship Application Process
Applications submitted for program sponsorship are reviewed and accepted quarterly according to the schedule listed below. Organizations interested in applying for sponsorship of their program or event should submit an application (available based on the application schedule), no less than three (3) months before the start date of the program. The evaluation begins after the application deadline and may take up to 30 days to complete. The Library and Arts Department director has final approval of all proposals.
Programs are considered officially sponsored when:
- The schedule is confirmed.
Boulder Public Library accepts sponsorship applications for programs and events on a quarterly basis. Please see the timeline below for the next application window and review cycle. The Canyon Theater is also available for rentals. For questions, please call (303) 441-3100.
|Event Date||Applications Accepted||Notice of Status by|
|January, February, March 2020||August 17 – 31, 2019||September 30, 2019|
|April, May, June 2020||November 17-30, 2019||December 30, 2019|
|July, August, September 2020||February 14-28, 2020||March 31, 2020|
|October, November, December 2020||May 17-31, 2020||June 30, 2020|
Meeting Room Sponsorship Application Process
Recurring programs or events that take place in Meeting Rooms may be sponsored for one year at a time and must re-apply for each subsequent year. Application forms are available here June 1 – June 15.
Recurring Sponsorship Groups are responsible for:
- Providing name and email for one lead contact and a description of the meetings.
- Providing day, time and location for one calendar year. This is a full year, 12-month commitment. Groups must commit to meeting at least once a month. No partial Sponsorships (i.e. we cannot reserve Jan-May, skip June-Aug, etc.).
- Providing estimated monthly attendance number (one time only upon application).
- Monitoring library website calendar to verify published information.
- Rescheduling: Due to the large number of groups and limited staff time, the group is responsible for rescheduling all meetings for library closures or other reasons. Please use our online booking system or call 303-441-3100 for assistance. All library staff are able to assist with this process.
- Cancellations: For cancellations less than 48 hours notice, please call 303-441-3100.
Recurring programs — Programs that are scheduled over a long period of time and at regular intervals. For instance: daily, weekly, or monthly meetings would be considered recurring. Several events in a limited series held over a few days that are part of a festival or convention would not be considered recurring and may be reserved using the online booking system.
Review Criteria for Sponsorship Proposals
Proposals will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
Supports the BPL Mission — The mission of the Boulder Public Library is to enhance the personal and professional growth of Boulder residents and contribute to the development and sustainability of an engaged community through free access to ideas, information, cultural experiences and educational opportunities.
Audience appeal – The program or event has the potential to appeal to a diverse audience of a significant number of community members.
Cost to the public – Programs or events that meet the above criteria and are free and open to the public or will provide another mechanism for some free attendance will be given preference over those that charge admission or request donations.
Proposals will not be considered for sponsorship if they fall under any of the categories, below:
- Political campaigns, including programs or events that intend to influence the passage or defeat of ballot issues, city ordinances, or to promote candidates for political office.
- Religious programs that promote a single religious viewpoint over that of others.
- Content that advocates violence or intolerance.
- Content that advocates the violation of Municipal, State, or Federal laws
Benefits for Sponsored Programs and Events
When a program or event is accepted for sponsorship, BPL, at its discretion, may provide one or more of the following:
Use of facilities – Sponsored programs or events may be given priority scheduling of library facilities.
Communications — BPL may promote the sponsored program or event on the library’s website calendar.
Fees — The base rental fee for Canyon Theater may be waived as an in-kind donation. Use of the Canyon Theater requires a library staff member to be present. The entity responsible for the sponsored event may be charged a $30/hour fee for theater staff time. The entity responsible for the sponsored program or event will provide the following as a condition of sponsorship:
- Acknowledgment— Inclusion of the BPL logo or other approved credit information in all marketing material as requested by the library.
- Post-event reporting— The responsible party will report the number of attendees after the end of the program or event. Further information may be requested by BPL, such as press clippings, marketing collateral, and a narrative about the success of the program in addressing the standards outlined in the Review Criteria of Sponsorship Proposals, below.
General Terms and Conditions
The Boulder Public Library asks organizations presenting sponsored programs or events to observe the following terms and conditions.
- The Library and Arts Department director or designee must grant approval in the sponsorship application agreement for verbal donation requests, the charging of fees or admission, or the selling of any products or services.
- The Library and Arts Department director or designee must grant approval prior to the program or event for the posting or distribution of materials inside library facilities.
- The program or event shall be designed to be accessible to participants and/or audience members with special needs to the degree that is possible.
- Any communications about the sponsored program or event must be approved by BPL staff prior to release of those materials. This includes all marketing materials, press releases, web pages, calendar listings, advertisements, etc. In the case of any media activity such as television, radio, web- or print-media interviews, BPL staff must be updated when such interviews are scheduled to be conducted, and when the media reports are expected to be released.
- Donation boxes or suggested donation requests at the door are not permitted. Organizations may make verbal requests for donations but must direct attendees to contribute directly to the organization’s website or mailing address.
- All events occurring in the Canyon Theater require a library staff member in attendance.
Failure to abide by these general terms and conditions may result in the withdrawal of sponsorship and forfeiture of the opportunity for the organization to apply for sponsorship in the future. Boulder Public Library, at its sole discretion, reserves the right to revoke sponsorship of a program or event at any time.
Approved by the Library Commission on January 7, 2015, revised June 1, 2016.